Here are 5 tips to help you continue your sobriety as the holidays approach. If you are an alcoholic, getting sober is one of the hardest things you may ever do, staying sober will be the hardest, and you need all the help you can get. Read these tips, one of them may just save your life.
1. Stay out of slippery places. Only attend a function with alcohol being served if you have a authentic reason to be there.
2. Don’t depend on someone else to get you home from the event. excursion your own car, and make sure you park in a way that you won`t be confined in. If you don’t have a car, make sure you have cab fare and a cell phone. You should also have your sponsor’s phone number.
3. Know what you are going to drink before you get there, and order something that comes in a can or bottle that you can open yourself. Stay away from ‘mocktails’ or ‘near beer’!
4. If you have to set your drink down to use the washroom, or other reason, get a new one. Don’t pick up your old drink, it may have been tampered with, and you also run the risk of picking up the wrong drink.
5. Be very aware of everything going in your mouth. Many holiday treats are laced with alcohol. Liquor filled chocolates, rum balls, tiramisu are relapses waiting to happen. Remember you have an allergy to alcohol, and already a tiny bit can set off your physical craving. You may not already know why, if you were careless about what you ate.
Be good to yourself. You deserve to be happy, joyous and free, and live to see another season, and the best gift you can give your loved ones is a healthy you.