The Physical Effects of Drug Abuse
Drug abuse can be understood as excessive use of addictive substances such as alcohol, opioids, marijuana, or other chemical variants leading to emotional, physical, and social harm. Drug abuse can also rule to the development of substance use disorder (SUD), a mental illness that causes people to resort to compulsive behavior around psychoactive drugs, irrespective of consequences.
Drug usage not only has an impact on the mental and physical health of the user during usage but also after a person stops using them. A drug rehab center can help you conquer an addiction and opt for a healthy life. They use tailor-made detoxification course of action in combination with psychotherapy and behavioral therapy to help the user unprotected to long-term sobriety.
Understanding the physical impact of using drugs
Drugs impairs the central nervous system (CNS). It disturbs brain chemistry including hormonal balance, enzyme production, and antibody generation. With continuous use, the body builds a tolerance threshold for the drug. Due to the disturbed body metabolism, a person experiences an uncontrollable urge for the drug, which slowly takes control over their life. Here we have listed the actions of certain categories of drugs on the body.
- Stimulants: Stimulants can accelerate the CNS. Taking stimulants like cocaine increase brain activity resulting in the person experiencing overconfidence and racing thoughts. The physical effects of stimulant addiction include increased heart rate, high blood pressure, loss of appetite, and insomnia. Stimulant use can send the brain into hyperactivity resulting in seizures, stroke, brain hemorrhage, or heart attack.
- Hallucinogens: Use of hallucinogens blurs the line between reality and imagination. Use of such drugs can rule to poor decision making resulting in unhealthy effects and undesirable situations. It can also cause gastric issues and cramp the jaw.
- Depressants: Depressants are CNS inhibiters. They reduce hyperactivity, brain activity, and heart rate making the user drowsy and relaxed. Depressant use can also increase the probability of developing negative cycles of dependence. Prolonged use of these drugs can rule to unconsciousness and coma, which may be fatal.
Substance abuse can have multiple other side effects including:
- Weakened immune system
- Heart issues
- Nausea and abdominal pain
- Liver damage
- Seizure, heart stroke, change in appetite, difficulty in sleeping and weight loss
- Reduced brain activity, brain cell damage and mental confusion
- Lung disease
- Memory dysfunctions
- Breast development in men
- Increased body temperature
- changed perception
- Extreme sweating
- Uncontrollable mood swings
- Compromised cognitive abilities
- Tingling in limbs
- Reduction of pain sensation leading to injury
- Unplanned sex and pregnancies
Drugs also brings about behavioral changes in the user. Such changes may be:
- Impaired Judgement
- Loss of self-control
- Suicidal ideation
Risk Factors Associated With Drug Abuse
The risk involved in addiction depends on various factors such as:
- Duration of usage
- Amount of drugs used
- Susceptible of the body towards a drug
- Source of the drug
- Method of administration: oral, inhalation, or injection
- Current mental state
- Uni or polysubstance use
Long-term Effects of Addiction
Prolonged addiction can rule to long-term health effects or long-lasting damage to body including:
- Increased risk of organ damage
- Increased risk of developing cancer
- Miscarriages in women during pregnancy or complications in pregnancy
- Collapsed veins due to drug administration by injection
- Restricted jaw moment
- Change in psychological behavior
- Chronic bronchitis
- without of concentration
- Impaired growth and development in young users
- Reduced fertility
- Increased risk of contracting HIV and hepatitis
- Suicidal thoughts or self-harm
Seeking help from drug detox center to conquer the addiction can prove to be an excellent way to regain control over your life. Choose a drug rehab center that offers medical detox followed by a comprehensive addiction treatment plan.
If you or a loved one are battling an addiction to psychoactive substances, then get in touch with the California detox helpline. We can provide applicable information about a wide range of addiction issues. We have skill and experience in providing solutions for addiction by Natural Assisted Detox and can connect you with the best rapid detox centers in California.